All course requirements listed below are expected to be completed by the end of the year indicated. Students seeking exceptions must submit a petition to the Committee on Academic Standing (CAS) in advance.
Academic Progress Report (APR)
The APR is a helpful tool—comparing the summary information on your APR to the requirements allows you to quickly see your progress.
Main Menu > Self Service > Academic Records > MyAPR/Internal Transcript
How to Read the Academic Progress Report (APR) can help you decipher the report.
|Writing Skills (WS)||1||1|
|Difference, Power, and Equity (DPE)||
Recommended sophomore year, CAS Petition not required, must complete by end of senior year.
|Quantitative/Formal Reasoning (QFR)||1|
|Division I: Language & Arts*||2||1|
|Division II: Social Studies*||2||1|
|Division III: Science & Math*||2||1|
*Students are required to take 3 courses with at least 2 different prefixes in each division.
First-years and sophomores should be aware of the Early Concentration Rules to make sure their course selection meets the required prefix variety.
|Physical Education Units||2||2|
|Winter Study (see COVID-19 policy addendum)||1||1||1||1|
- Complete 32 courses (see COVID-19 policy addendum):
- 29 must be graded A-E (see COVID-19 policy addendum), 19 with grades of C- (in any semester) or a grade of Pass (in Spring 2020, Fall 2020, and Spring 2021);
- no more than 3 pass/fail courses, with a limit of 1 per semester (see COVID-19 policy addendum).
- May only repeat courses they have received an E or W in.
- Must declare a major by the end of sophomore year and complete the requirements of at least one major with a GPA of C- or better.
- Must have a C- or better overall GPA.
- Spend 8 semesters in residence:
- 2 of the 8 may be spent enrolled in an approved Study Away program (Williams-Exeter Programme at Oxford University and Williams-Mystic Maritime Studies Program not subject to the same limitations).
- Be in residence both semesters senior year.
Read Degree Requirements in the catalog for complete details.